Thursday, December 8, 2011

Project: Steampunk Computer

As part of the shop revamp, one of my projects is to build a steampunk computer to use as a register.

Steve is taking care of the accounting and retail system setup so the construction side of things is my job.

No worries say I, but those of you who know me and my history with tech studies would know that this is, indeed a bit of a worry, and possibly my most ambitious project to date.

First obstacle is the typewriter. I found one and bought it with the intention of taking it to pieces, but have since found out that it still works.



I don't have a problem with hacking into a computer screen and destroying the bits I don't want (necessary to get to the bits that I do, as it turns out - demolition, Kat style) because there's plenty of them out there.

This, however, is a Remington Portable Typewriter, built sometime in the 20's or 30's and I just can't bring myself to pull it to pieces for any reason other than to recondition it.

Back to the drawing board for typewriter keys. Or, Ebay, anyway.

More updates on my steampunk adventures, soon. And photos!

No comments: