Saturday, December 10, 2011

Project: Steampunk Computer

CHAPTER 2

First up, this is a photo of the typewriter I WON'T be dismantling for my project.



This is a photo of the monitor that I have no problem pulling to pieces. In theory. The casings are quite hard to take apart. Please note the mess on the table.



After a day working without clearing my space of all my other projects I gave up and spent a couple of hours getting organised. The mess is now spread in organised piles all over the shed instead of just on the table.



I decided that seeing as this computer is going into an art gallery it's only fitting that the monitor is framed. I had an old frame there that was too big so I decided to cut it down to fit. I'd have to mitre the corners and measure up correctly, but using my trusty dremel, a hand saw and basic arithmetic I was sure I'd be able to manage. I mean, seriously, how hard could it be?



Five hours later I had three sides that were too short, five mitres that were not 90 degrees and had run out of frame to cut.

So today I went to my local and most accomodating framer and got them to make me this. Fifteen minutes it took.



The moral of the story is...tidy up as you go along (Hi, Mum!) and sometimes it is far more sensible to delegate and get some sleep instead.

No comments: